Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Look…..Dad…..I Almost Did It This Time, No, Really!

Wednesday’s workout had two primary elements going for it: simplicity and brutality. After a rousing few rounds of Barbell/PVC Hang, Clean and Snatch work, I discovered that indeed, I am starting to get the knack of these maneuvers. I can’t stick them consistently over 25+ reps with weight, but I can for the first few, so, Woo-Hoo!.


The main event was a simple circuit of the following:

“Burner/One”

6 Rounds of:

9 Pullups

9 KB Swings

9 Pushups

9 Sit-ups

I managed to get 4 round in about 18 minutes before I had to catch a bus. I really hate having to cut these workouts short, and wonder if maybe I should skip the warm-up and just go for the WOD. I’ll need to get a stopwatch, but don’t know if that’s the most effective route.

The swings, pushups and situps were pretty easy (might try a 70lb KB for short rep circuits like this), but the pull-ups were the killer. I did two rounds with the pull-up floss and switched to the pink band for the last two. Even then, my output was pretty anemic….ones and twos with rests in between. Is it better to drop the level of resistance and go for the reps, or just reduce the number of reps overall? If I drop reps, should I step down by quarters or thirds (take 9 to 7, or 9 to 6)?

On the bright side, I’m really close to the first pull-up. In fact, before I had Jerry check me, I tried one and made it up over the bar. His advice to swing more and use that energy to propel me up was most valuable, and I’ll try to do it next time.

My WOD 2.0 (hopefully this afternoon) will consist of another attempt at For Whom the Bell Tolls (see previous posts), followed by another circuit:

5 Rounds for Time:

7 Dips (The office has a Gravitron Machine)

7 Burpees

I didn't have either the time or energy to do the KB workout, but did get in the other circuit in 11:20. Couldn't do the burpees, but settled for pushups instead. For the first 2.5 sets, I was able to do the full push up, but did the remainder on my knees.


For the Gravitron, I set it 10, which means that it gave me 52lbs of counterweight. Being that I weight 232...well, you do the math (each dip was 180lbs if you're too lazy to get a pencil and a post-it note)


Overall, not bad, but not as much as I would have liked. Oh, well!

No comments: