Today's session w/Darius amp'd up the weight and the challenge. It involved only one 44lb KB, forebearance and sweat.
We started off with some bodyweight warmups....including the MOTHER OF ALL STRETCHES...a combo of lunge, hurdler's stretch and balance all rolled into one package. This also included T and Y hip stretches and more lunges. The mix of balance and flexibility isn't my strongest point, but it's one that I do need corrected.
The side-step swings didn't go quite as planned. Unfortunately, I'm not the kind of athlete that can take a new move without sacrificing some of what I've learned. Such was the case with this one. I just didn't get the hang of swinging straight, while shifting my weigth from one foot to the other.
So, we did straight two hand swings, and then 2 set of 8 pushups. I tried to do the close hold on the KB, but just didn't have the wrist strength to pull it off. Guess I'll ahve to do a few more pushups on the days when we're not working out together.
What did work was an evil little combo of rows with the 44 Magnum coupled with a clean and push press. After 2 sets of 5 reps, I was totally baked...and lovin' it.
We finished off with some planque stabilization. Intent here was to teach tension, and probably have Darius work out a little of his frustration out on me. I stayed in a tensed up front planque while Darius tried (and often succeeded) to push and pull me despite my resistance. Definately a good refresher on tension, and one that I really benefitted from. It's always the basics....layups before hook shots that matter.
As always, the wrap up was doing a clean w/ the 44lber to the car, switching halfway. Was definately challenging, but a nice way to finish off the session.
I did double up today, having taken a 30-minute swim in addition to KBs. Nothing extreme, just a nice little paddle to warm up the joints after two months off. Going to be hitting the pool more regularly, now that I've found a willing partner in my office. Woo Hoo!
Also brought home the 36 and 44lb KB I left at the office gym. Haven't been there in a while, either, and like the idea of just heading out back to snatch some KBs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment