Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Double Bubble, Toil and Trouble

Wednesday's workout (had to reschedule yesterday's workout) was another blend on standard-issue Hard-Style exercises. This isn't disparaging in any sense of the word, just good, strong, basics.

Warmup consisted on around the body passes, bodyweight windmills (I really need to remember not to bend my knees), and somethine else I can't remember. Guess i'll have to rehearse a few of these exercises like the TGU and Windmill with a tennis ball in my hand just to get the muscle memory working.

From the warmup, we went to the main event.....and a new twist...double KBs. This is one of those circumstances in which economy overtook effective, as I've never had two of one size KB before. Started off two 1 arm swings (36lb) with each hand, and then moved up to 5X2 36lb double clean and press,with a 5X2 36lb chaser of push presses. From there, we went to double 36lb squats, and then the TGU. Up until the TGU, the weight was nice....enough to truly work my muscles, but not so much I felt I had to compromise form to get it. Ooooh man, those felt good.

For the TGU, I had to step down to 26, and step back and dissent the movement into six pieces. Darius's instruction was most valuable, and like I said earlier, I need to do some tennis ball reps to put the whole movement together. Truth is, if I focus on correcting one aspect, I go instincting on the rest...which ain't good. I know this is a skill that'll evolve over time, but I really want to get more proficient at these stabilizer/core exercises.

Speaking of which, I really need to work and find ways to teach my body to tense up. Again, long range athletic skill, but one that I need to start on soon, since it'll take a while to fall into place.

We finished up with 5X3 Hard-Style snatches with each arm...transitioning every 5 reps. Did well w/36lber, but started to lose it a little on my left side for the last set. Love the hard-style version, much more total body! Finally, I farmer walked the 36r's to the car and said goodbye until Friday.

I'm not really sore, but feel rather energized and firmer from my efforts. Haven't had to take an Aleve for some time, and am grateful for that fact.

No comments: