Monday, October 29, 2007

Opening Statement

There are lots of cliches that are appropriate to this kind of entry....the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single footstep....you get the picture. I've always tried to avoid cliches like the...unfortunately lethal Middle Age epidemic...and will continue to do so vicariously over the 'Net.

This blog is intended to serve one function, and one function only: To help document my transition from an average 30-year old sedentary office worker with severely below average eyesight into that lean and strong 18 year old that got buried under a few cases of Guinness.

Who I am isn't really all that important...why I'm doing this is. Vanity isn't the only answer...wanting to set a healthy example for my wife and daughter is also a driving factor as well. In an age of drive-thru living and eating disorders, it's important to set a precedent of health and well-being not just through articles and advice, but also through experience and demonstrating that it is possible. "Follow me" has always been a more effective method of instruction than the old "Do as I say, not as I do" we all tend to rely upon.

As for the poor eyesight stuff, I am legally blind, although I still have plenty of usable vision. I can't drive, and am completely blind at night. As such, I hate running (lots of good things to sprain an ankle on)...and I really hate working out in the dark.

For the medically curious, the condition is known as Retinitis Pigmentosa, and I can't get glasses or Lasik to fix this problem. It's a retinal condition that will, at some point in the indeterminate future, leave me totally blind, but still as irascible as ever.

So, with that said, here's to looking leaner, eating better, and finding that 18 year old with the 33 inch waist.

No comments: