One of the hardest things for me to accept due to my injuries and other absences is that I'm essentially back at the beginning in terms of my overall conditioning. This isn't unexpected....in fact, it's kind of reassuring since it truly demonstrates how effective CrossFit is in developing REAL fitness and true athleticism.
That said, I did a roughly 2/3rds of the prescribed volume in each round of today's workout (2 Rds of the Pullup and 2 of the Rowing) Did the pull-ups with the blue band, just to regain the feel without exacting too much stress on the system....one of us needs to remain relatively healthy to take care of Kitten. Tried to follow the kipping advice on the website, and I think I'm starting to understand and apply the basic mechanics. Heavier bands help me focus on those elements, although I anticipate going up to pink with the next week or so.
I really need to start doing the Sumo Deadlift HPs (never attempted) with a barbell in order to get a good "feel" for the movement. Even if it's with a PVC pipe (guess it's time to go to Home Depot), I need to get the elbow snap and line of pull locked in. This is because I can cheat/curl too easily with the ball, so something different is in order. Maybe I could use one the 15lb bars since that would equal this morning's med ball. Either way, athletic coordination is just as much a struggle for me as is my strength, and reinforcement is the best way to overcome that.
For push-ups, I need to start incorporating some wall pushups/stretches into the mix in order to readjust the ankle back into that kind of movement. I wanted to do the pro as prescribed, but the upper part of my right ankle started to rebel. So, had to grab a Woody Bag and place it at the bottom of my shins to reduce the strain. Also need to regain the squat "mojo", but that should follow soon enough.
Depite the last few paragraphs of self-flagellation, I'm happy to get back in the mix, and looking forward to improving and keeping up with you young "whippersnappers"! Watching you guys improve and excel is a pleasure, even if I'm now the slowest guy in the class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It'll take ya a solid 4-weeks to get back in a groove.
Keep at it 3-4 x week and you'll be there!
Post a Comment