Friday, February 15, 2008

And the Band Played On......

Due to a meeting I had to make at the office, today’s workout was an abbreviated one. I wish I could have done the whole 5 circuits as prescribed, but maybe I’ll just make up for it on Saturday and Monday.

Started off with cals, squat stretching and some deadlifts. Never did them before, so the skill work was nice, even though I’ll need some more reinforcement to truly master the skill. I used my lower back more than I should have, which is an uber-no no! Have to work on the hip motion, since otherwise I tend to use my legs/knees far too much in executing the maneuver.


As for today’s circuit….here’s how it broke down:

3 Rounds of:

6 Chins (w/ Pull-up Floss)

9 Thrusters (55-75 lbs)

12 KB Swings (45 lbs)

15 Situps

(15:00 total time)

The thrusters and pull-ups were far and away the most challenging. My PR (set yesterday) was 7 with the floss. So, in one sense, I’m proud of my output. However, I’ve noticed that the band has minimized the need for kipping through boosting me through elastic energy rather than the momentum generated by a proper kip. When I get the swing and timing right, I fly over the bar….for the other 15 or so pull-ups, the band played way too active a role. Need to spend some more time mentally rehearsing/visualizing the kip prior to working out. This from a guy who’s never mastered the Hula Hoop!


Thrusters also were a challenge. Between getting the squat depth, hip drive, and push press part right, 75lbs was just too heavy. Went down to 55 and it was a little light. Next time, Goldilocks will go 65lbs and get the form and momentum dialed in. Compound exercises like this are really great, but I have to redouble my efforts not to gut through them with my innate strength.


Other notes: Need to use the 53lb KB for swings….45’s too light. When I get my own set, I’m painting bottom “bell” in bright colors so I can find the weight I want very easily. The whole tape/marker thing is great for everyone else, but Magoo needs a slightly more unscrewuppable method. Same will hold true for Oly Plates. Situps were no problem, and I may use them as a permanent replacement for Box Jumps, unless I can come up with something more aerobic….KB snatches?

No comments: