Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Whip it.....Whip it Good!

I have to admit that I really like the “Smorgasboard of Pain” workouts in which you get to pick your routine from 3 choices. It brings a lot of variety, and lets me try out different workouts with new moves. It also allows me to return to one specific exercise for practice or for a PR. Today, I went for something new, the “Chute Attack” workout. Next time, I’m doing one with deadlifts in order to get some practice.

Chute Attack breaks down in the following manner:

5 Rounds of 10 Pullups (w/blue band), 30 Squats and 50 Bullwhips – Finished in 28:20.

Chins went pretty well, although as I got sweatier, I needed to stop and chalk up in order to retain my grip. I should move up to the Pink band sometime next week. Squats also fell into place, even though I took extra breaks just to reinforce good positioning…both with my feet and back. I’ve always had problems getting the coordination right, so emphasizing posture over speed and burn seems like the best way to go. Another week and I’ll start going for burn.

As for the bullwhips….HOLY COW….FEEL THE GOODNESS! It looks like a simple exercise….and it is…. for the first 20 reps. Although it took me a while to get through it, I like this exercise as it abuses the shoulders and is really a lot of fun. This is especially true if you can get each arm to move sequentially, like swimming. Like it, love it, want more of it!

Wish I could come tomorrow for the KB Clean and Jerk work, but have a meeting at work that must take priority. Maybe I can get workout # 4 for this week in on Saturday. There’s always hope.

No comments: