Saturday, February 9, 2008

Bar None

The chin up part of this workout was great. Went straight for the pink band and knocked out two sets of 10. I still need to find ways to maintain a good rhythm on the kips, since I have a tendency to lose momentum and "reset" at a dead hang. There's a part of me that believes that going "strict" will help build strength, but I also know I'm losing reps and progress due to poor technique.

I even went and grabbed the old "pullup floss" and got about 3 reps, of which maybe 2 could've counted. My PR's 6 reps with floss, so it was very reassuring to know I'm almost back to my old best. I'm even starting to get some calluses back...yeehaw!

The second phase wasn't nearly as emotionally satisfying.
Apparently, the only bars I'm reasonably competent around are those that serve beverages of an adult nature. The strict press work was OK, got up to 100lbs for 4 reps after 2 sets of 95 and 1 of 75. I noticed myself using my lower back more than I should have, instead of my core. Guess I need to clench the posteriors more when I execute the move in order to transfer the tension better.

On the last circuit, I had some real trouble with getting the hang clean move, despite going down to 8 reps/circuit. Part of it is a tendency to want to pull the bar with my arms rather than shoot it up with my hips. The other piece is to use the weightlessness that momentum offers to get that elbow snap in place.

For the other two exercises, the slamball and situps, I did OK. 18 slamballs throughout the long Tabata, 2 sets of 18, 1 set of 17, and two sets of 15 on the situps. Not bad, but I need to find ways to get faster on the situps....there's a bad tendency on my part to just get into a slow twitch kind of rut.

Saturday morning CrossFit sure beats a lazy Saturday morning spent drinking coffee. I can do that at work!

1 comment:

Jerry Hill said...

So great to see you analyzing your movement Magoo...
Congrat's on geeting your kipping groove back!